Monday, January 11, 2010

Preschool Worries

I went to a school fair last Saturday to get information about local preschools and see the response when I asked about Westin needing extra attention. I came away pretty discouraged. I liked the program and ideas of a few of them, but of course they don't have special Ed services but did say they would be willing to work with us and Westin and see how it goes. But the going theme was potty training. He has to be totally potty trained and this means being able to go to the bathroom completely by himself and clean up any accidents and change his clothes. Well, currently he can get himself undressed if wearing loose enough clothes, has minimal interest in potty training and can not get dressed much less clean up a mess and change his clothes, especially socks. He can put his shoes on, if they are his police car light up shoes. It does seem a little crazy to worry about this now and we do have 7months for his to accomplish all this. But it is a huge amount of learning. He has come a long way in the past 5months, but I have a hard time imagining him being able to do all this. It would be awesome if he could learn all this and more in the next 7months and gives us some specific things to work on. I was encouraged tonight because he got totally undressed and agreed to go potty and did pee a decent amount. So we have been telling him that when he turns 3 1/2 then no more diapers. So we are going to hit potty training hard pretty soon and see how it goes. I also am worried about him being to disruptive at a preschool that they won't want him to stay. I guess if that happens we will try for an IEP and special ed preschool. But we were already denied this once so don;t have much hope they will qualify him later since he is learning so much and getting better. So, I guess we will work with him as hard as we can and if he seems ready we will try preschool and if it doesn't work out keep him home and do some homeschooling with my mom until we can try school again. Just something Kevin and I had to think about and face once I talked to the different schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment